Download a paper version of my résumé.
Where I’ve Been
Digital First Media
Online Editor, Washtenaw Now
- In charge of updating the website and maintaining the homepage, utilizing social media, analyzing community engagement efforts, reporting digital stats via Omniture, breaking news reporting and working on the data team, digital team and social team.
Editor, The Chelsea Standard and Dexter Leader
April 2013-April 2014
- In charge of budgeting content, updating the website, writing stories and editorials, utilizing social media, making infographics, shooting photos and video, managing a reporter and several freelancers and paginating pages for both the Chelsea Standard and Dexter Leader —two weekly newspapers in Washtenaw County that are part of Digital First Media. Also analyzes community engagement efforts on social media websites using Omniture and contributes to the DFM Michigan Data Journalism team.
The Oakland Post
Dec. 2011-April 2013
- Worked with a staff of 50 student journalists to publish a newspaper for Oakland University students that is distributed to 5,000 students weekly. Wrote weekly editorials and articles, updated and initiated several social media projects including livestreams of the Student Congress Presidential Debates, utilizing Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Google+ Hangout, where we were able to show the debate live on YouTube. Brought in several special guest speakers who work as professionals to speak to the staff and help achieve various engagement goals. Also monitored and assisted in the development of an entire newspaper redesign that incorporated a page design process utilizing templates. Created a multimedia team and started getting the entire staff working with a daily web-first mentality through a complete redesign of our website and change in web processes.
- Managing Content Editor May 2011-Dec. 2011
- Features Editor July 2010-May 2011
The Oakland Press
May 2011-Sept. 2012
- Worked with a team of designers to design the front page, business, special section and local pages for Oakland County’s daily newspaper with a circulation of 70,000, part-time. Assisted in uploading content to the web and freelancing videos, stories and photos to the marquee and news sections and helped design the Heritage Media and the Grand Traverse Insider newspapers.
- Marquee Intern May 2011-July 2011
Barista/Social Media Representative
May 2011-Dec. 2011
- In addition to making coffee, was in charge of managing the store’s Facebook and Twitter accounts and using the social media as a resource to bring in customers, give out coupons and communicate.
Sept. 2008-June 2009
Sterling Heights, Mich.
- Edited stories, wrote stories, designed pages for Stevenson High School’s student newspaper using Photoshop CS3 and InDesign CS3. Published two special edition issues that included an entire 12-page insert on bold topics that were challenged at the school board level. Managed a staff of 35 individuals, and taught them how to report. Took photos with a Canon DSLR.
August 2009 – May 2013
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism
What I Can Do
Twitter, Facebook, WordPress, Tumblr, Foursquare
Adobe Creative Suite
InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
Canon 60D, Flip UltraHD
Audacity, iMovie, Final Cut Pro X
Familiarity with (X)HTML and CSS
Number analysis, investigative reporting, infographic creating
2014 DFMie winner, Watchdog Journalism for data journalism package
2013 Associated Collegiate Press Best in Show, The Oakland Post, 9th place
2013 Associated Collegiate Press Best in Show, The Oakland Post, Website, 10th place
2012 Associated Collegiate Press Best in Show, The Oakland Post, Website, 10th place
2012 Associated Collegiate Press Pacemaker Finalist, The Oakland Post
2011 Founder and President, The Society of Professional Journalists
2011 Larry Laurain Scholar, Society of Professional Journalists, Honorable Mention
2010 Founder, The Muggle Quidditch League of Oakland University
2009 Gold Star Recipient, Michigan Interscholastic Press Association, The Vanguard
2009 National Winner, Quill & Scroll International Honors Society, Editorial
2009 Certificate of Merit, Columbia Scholastic Press Association, Op-Ed or news analysis page design
2009 Honorable Mention, Michigan Interscholastic Press Association, News on-site writing contest
2009 Honorable Mention, Michigan Interscholastic Press Association, Environmental writing
2008 Sparty, Michigan Interscholastic Press Association, The Vanguard
2008 NSPA Pacemaker Finalist, The Vanguard